Domestic Violence Special Project
Chairman - Cheryl Einsweiler
Beverly Blvd., Hudson 50643
Continue to embrace the Domestic Violence Awareness Program
during the 2016-2018 Administration. Become aware and learn the facts about domestic violence in your community.
Ask local shelters in your community what you can do to help. Your club may wish to volunteer at the shelter, raise
funds for shelters or choose a project that you can work on all year. May each club be challenged to do more than ever
in the 2016-2018 Administration in Domestic Violence awareness projects.
2016 Awards Presented at 2017 State Convention
GFWC/Iowa Solon Women's
Club, SE District
GFWC/Iowa Adel Women's
Club, SW District
President's Creativity Award
GFWC/Iowa Solon Women's Club, SE District
- In the United States a woman is battered every 9 seconds. (American Medical Association, 1991)
- Between 20,000 and 44,000 Iowa women suffer abuse in their homes every year. Between January 1990 and April 1997,
at least 66 women in Iowa were murdered by a husband or boyfriend.
- Of the 66 women that were murdered, 29 were know to have left their partner. Six were killed while leaving.
Two were killed in front of a law officer and two were killed in child visitation exchanges.
- There are 7 animal shelters for every 1 domestic violence shelter in Iowa (Bureau of Animal Welfare, 1995)
Children and Domestic Violence
- Child witnesses of domestic violence are victims of child abuse at a rate 1,500% higher than the national average.
(M. Strauss, R. Gelles & S. Steinmetz, eds. "Behind Closed Doors: Violence in the American Family" Garden City, NY: Anchor
- In a 36 month study of 146 children, ages 11 to 17, from homes where wife beating was a major problem, all sons over the
age of 14 attempted to protect their mothers and 62% of them were injured in the process. (Ms Magazine, September/October
- 63% of the young men between the ages of 11 and 20 who are serving time for homicide have killed their mother's abuser.
(March of Dimes, 1992)
Show your pride in GFWC membership and awareness of domestic
violence with a plated purple ribbon pin and GFWC emblem (black rubber backing).
Dimensions: 2”L x 1 1/8”W
from the sale of this item benefits the GFWC President's Special Project: Domestic Violence Awareness.
This item is for sale through GFWC Marketplacehttp://gfwc.org